Dallas Sports Commission (DSC)
Executive Update, August 2017
Staff members from the Dallas Sports Commission (DSC) attended the Connect Sports Marketplace in New Orleans in August. It is an annual sports tourism conference that brings together NGBs (National Governing Bodies), sports planners and rights holders, suppliers and experts in sports events for three days of general sessions, best practice breakouts, roundtables, workshops, pre-set appointments and networking. Monica Paul and Joe Albsmeyer served as panelists for two of the best practice breakout sessions.
DSC Executive Director Monica Paul was also a panelist at the IAVM VenueConnect Annual Conference in Nashville in early August. She relayed her expertise in working with economic impact metrics for sporting events.
On August 30 the DSC hosted a meeting with over 45 local hotels to brief them on upcoming DSC bids. Hoteliers were informed about the timeline and events the DSC had upcoming bids for and what information was needed to submit a successful bid. The DSC staff also outlined the hotel portion of the 2026 FIFA World Cup bid that was to be submitted to the United Bid Committee in early September.
Planning also continued for the inaugural Dallas Bike Ride that will take place on Saturday, November 4 and will start and end in Downtown Dallas. A fun, recreational ride, the Dallas Bike Ride will be 20 miles on car-free streets through many neighborhoods of Dallas. For more information and to sign up, visit www.dallasbikeride.com.
Additional DSC events in August:
- AJGA Under Armour/Jordan Spieth Jr. Championship, Trinity Forest Golf Course
- Hosted Adrenaline Dance event, Sheraton Dallas
- Writing and assembling Dallas Bids for the 2026 FIFA World Cup and the 2023-2026 NCAA Men's Basketball Final Four
- Submitted bid for the 2023 National Athletic Trainers' Association Clinical Symposia & AT Expo
- Hosted site visit with Camp Gladiator
- Hosted site visit with International Bowling Congress for 2018 Junior Gold Championships
- Hosted site visit with NCAA Women's Basketball staff for 2020 Women's Regional hotel locations
- Hosted hotel site visit with Salesmanship Club of Dallas for host locations for the 2018 AT&T Byron Nelson
- Hosted site visit with the United States Equestrian Federation
- Hosted site visit with SEAT (Sports Entertainment Alliance in Technology)