Dallas Sports Commission (DSC)
Executive Update, June 2018
On June 13 FIFA announced that the United Bid from the U.S., Canada and Mexico was selected to host the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Dallas is a current Candidate Host City and will find out in late 2020 or early 2021 if selected to host matches. The 2026 World Cup will see 48 teams participate for the first time, expanding from the current 32 teams. This will be the first time the World Cup will be in the U.S. since 1994, when Dallas hosted six matches.
The National Hockey League Draft was held at the American Airlines Center on June 22 & 23. The Draft was hosted in Dallas for the first time by the Stars as part of their 25th season in Dallas celebration. NHL Hall of Famer Mike Modano and current Stars captain Jamie Benn surprised the crowd by announcing the Stars first round selection. 217 total prospects were selected over the seven rounds of the draft.
Additional DSC events in June:
- Hosted North Texas Soccer Olympic Development Camp, June 8-10
- Presentation with the three Dallas Scripps National Spelling Bee Finalists at Golden Chick, June 11
- Hosted USA Dodgeball Combine, June 16-17
- Attended Dallas City Council Quality of Life Committee Meeting regarding Heart of Dallas Bowl, June 25
- Hosted AJGA Under Armour/Jordan Spieth Championship. June 25-28
- Announced on June 28 Sport Source Soccer Showcase Coming to Dallas