Dallas Sports Commission (DSC)
Executive Update, June 2019
Spelling Bee Celebration for Three Dallas National Champions
On June 14, the Dallas Sports Commission and Golden Chick held a welcome home celebration for the three Scripps National Spelling Bee co-champions from Dallas. Abhijay Kodali of Flower Mound, winner of the 61st Annual Golden Chick Dallas Regional Spelling Bee presented by the Dallas Sports Commission, Rohan Raja of the Dallas County Public Schools, and Sohum Sukhatankar of the Dallas County Private Schools represented the Dallas Region at the 2019 Scripps National Spelling Bee that took place May 26-31 in National Harbor, Maryland. They were among the eight students that made it through the 20-round final to be declared co-champions. Golden Chick presented all three with free Golden Chick for one year for their accomplishment!
Mexico Topples Ecuador 3-2 in Final Friendly Before the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup
Dallas and the North Texas region is the destination city and home-away-from home for the next four years for the Mexican National Team. This is a landmark sports partnership between the Dallas Cowboys, the Mexican Federation, FC Dallas and the DSC and the first of its kind between an NFL Team, an MLS Club and a top international sports federation. The 2019 MexTour match saw a thrilling 3-2 win for Mexico over Ecuador in an international friendly at AT&T Stadium. The match served as the final tune-up for Mexico before the Gold Cup tournament. El Tri broke a 2-2 tie with a Luis Rodriguez goal in the 77th minute to run Mexico's record all-time at AT&T Stadium to 6-1-1. Look for an announcement this fall for the 2020 MexTour match as Dallas works to bring the World Cup back in 2026!
Fan Fest at City Hall Plaza Featured Mexican National Team and Luis Coronel
Award-winning Latin singer Luis Coronel headlined the June 7 fan festival at the inaugural MexTour Live, a celebration of the Mexican National Team and its fans. The free, family friendly, MexTour Live Dallas fan fest took place at Dallas City Hall Plaza and also featured a special appearance by the current members of the Mexican National Team. The event also included visits and autograph sessions by Dallas Cowboys alumni, FC Dallas players and legends, Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders, as well as Mexican National Team legends, local musical acts, DJs and radio personalities, and team mascots.
Additional DSC events in June:
- Dallas2026 activation at FC Dallas match, June 1
- Staff participated in VisitDallas Diversity & Inclusion training, June 6
- Staff participated in the DASA Scholarship Bowling Tournament, June 6
- Dallas 2026 activation at MexTour match, June 9
- Staff attended the 4th Annual Texas Business Equality Conference, June 11
- Meeting with SMU for 2020 NCAA Women's Regionals, June 11
- Welcomed CONCACAF Gold Cup referees for headquarter hotel & training, June 11-July 3
- Staff met with AT&T Discovery District leadership, June 12
- Confidential event site visit, June 13
- U90c Premier SuperCopa youth soccer tournament, June 13-16
- Monica Paul participated in the UNT Sport Entertainment Management Industry advisory board meeting, June 14
- CONCACAF Gold Cup group stage doubleheader, June 20
- Under Armour/Jordan Spieth Junior Championship, June 22-26
- Staff attended the Esports Travel Summit in Atlantic City, June 25-27