Dallas Sports Commission (DSC)
Executive Update, May 2018
The AT&T Byron Nelson golf tournament was held May 16-20 at the new Trinity Forest Golf Club in Dallas, marking the first time the tournament has been held in the city since 1982. The links style course was designed by native Texans Ben Crenshaw and Bill Coore and is also home to the SMU golf teams. 21-year-old rookie Aaron Wise set a tournament record with a score of 23-under-par for his first PGA tournament title.
USA Volleyball held their 2018 Open National Championships at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas from May 25-30. Approximately 4,500 athletes ages anywhere from 18 to 89 took to one of 43 courts to vie for one of 27 divisional championships. The U.S. Women's and Men's National Sitting Volleyball Teams also hosted Canada in exhibition matches in conjunction with the Open National Championships.
Spellers from the Dallas area dominated the Scripps National Spelling Bee finishing 1-2-3 in the country! Naysa Modi and Abhijay Kodali, co-winners of the Golden Chick Dallas Regional Spelling Bee presented by the Dallas Sports Commission, finished 2nd and 3rd respectively out of the 511 contestants in Washington D.C. Karthik Nemmani of McKinney captured the national title, becoming the third winner ever from the Dallas area.
Additional DSC events in May:
- Attended press event for International Champions Cup soccer match, May 1
- Monica Paul attended Big 12 Conference spring meetings, May 1-2
- Assisted with Dallas ISD Athletic Hall of Fame ceremony, May 4
- NHL Draft site visit, May 9
- NCAA Men's Final Four site visit, May 14-15
- 2019 Gold Cup soccer tournament announcement, May 16
- Next Generation Cup soccer tournament, May 18-20
- Production assistance with United Bid Committee World Cup presentation filming, May 22-24
- Missouri Valley Conference Baseball Tournament, May 23-25
- Staff attended Big 12 Conference E-Sports Forum, May 23
- Submitted bid for NCAA Women's Final Four, May 24
- Staff attended the Scripps National Spelling Bee, May 30-31