Dallas Sports Commission (DSC)
Executive Update, October 2018
Historic Cotton Bowl Stadium was the host of a very exciting AT&T Red River Showdown on October 6 as Texas outlasted Oklahoma by a score of 48-45. In front of a sellout crowd of 92,300, Longhorns freshman kicker Cameron Dicker booted a 40-yard field goal with 14 seconds left to play to give Texas the dramatic victory. The 93 combined points made the 2018 game the highest scoring the rivalry's history.
The Cotton Bowl also played host to the inaugural State Fair Showdown on October 20, a match-up between Southern University of Baton Rouge and Texas Southern from Houston. Southern ran out to a 21-0 lead before Texas Southern added a fourth quarter touchdown to make the final score 21-7. The game between the two HBCU rivals was played on the final weekend of the State Fair of Texas.
DreamHack announced on October 18 that it was bringing its world-famous digital festival experience to Dallas in May 2019. DreamHack Dallas will be a full-scale DreamHack festival, with a Bring Your Own Computer (BYOC) LAN area, cosplay competitions, music acts, expo area, esports tournaments and much more. Tickets for the three-day event to be held at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas will go on sale in December. DreamHack esports broadcasts reached over 375 million views and DreamHack events welcomed over 250,000 visitors in 2017.
Additional DSC events in October:
- DSC team members attended the TEAMS Conference & Expo in Louisville, KY, October 1-4
- Hosted a site visit for the World Food Championships, October 1
- Larry Kelly spoke to University of North Texas Sports Management class, October 3
- Monica Paul participated in pre-game ceremonies for the Red River Celebrity Softball Game, October 4
- Co-hosted the Red River Showdown Media Bash, October 5
- Attended SMU Athletic Forum featuring Bob Stoops on October 10
- Attended State Fair Showdown press conference, Player Welcome & President's Dinner, week of October 15-20
- Monica Paul & Ginger Lively Cade attended the IMEX America Convention and made sales calls in Las Vegas, October 16 & 17
- Monica Paul participated on panel for "How Soccer Wins BIG in North Texas", October 18
- DSC Advisory Board Meeting, October 18
- Attended VIP Induction Celebration with U.S. Soccer Federation, October 19
- DSC team members attended the National Soccer Hall of Fame Opening Ceremonies, October 20
- Sports Marketing Association Conference, October 23-26
- REFIT Instructor Convention, October 25-28
- DSC sales team participated in sales training, October 29 & 30
- Monica Paul interview with CBS11 about the Dallas Bike Ride, October 31