Dallas Sports Commission (DSC)
Executive Update, September 2018
A BIG win for Dallas as the NCAA Women's Final Four will return to Dallas is 2023! The NCAA Division I Women's Basketball Committee announced on September 24 that the Big 12 Conference and the Dallas Sports Commission have been selected to host the 2023 Women's Final Four. The American Airlines Center will serve as the competition venue for the games to be played on March 31 and April 2, 2023. This will mark the second time in six years for Dallas to host a Women's Final Four.
"Thank you to the NCAA and the Women's Basketball Committee for the opportunity to host the 2023 Women's Final Four," said Monica Paul, Executive Director of the Dallas Sports Commission. "In 2017, the energy in the American Airlines Center and in the city of Dallas was unmatched and we were blown away by the experience and the community participation. We want Dallas to be synonymous with women's basketball and we look forward to making 2023 even bigger and better."
Historic Cotton Bowl Stadium was the host of the State Fair Classic on September 29 as Prairie View ended Grambling's four-year winning streak in the Classic by a 22-16 score in front of 47,911 fans. The game also featured the annual halftime Battle of the Bands between Grambling's "World Famed Tiger Marching Band" and the "Marching Storm" of Prairie View.
Additional DSC events in September:
- AdvoCare Classic, September 2
- Cotton Bowl Stadium Prep Showcase, September 7-8
- Site visit with Soccer United Marketing, September 10-11
- Texas Open Pickleball Championship, September 14-16
- NCAA Women's Final Four presentation to NCAA, September 19
- Volunteer orientation for the State Fair Showdown, September 20
- SERVPRO First Responder Bowl at Dallas City Council meetings
- Finished the 2017-18 Fiscal Year at 120% of room night goal